The Mentor Capital Network is a social enterprise accelerator based in Washington, DC, USA and working around the globe. We launched in 2002 as the William James Foundation, and became The Mentor Capital Network in 2014. We have helped more than 1,000 social enterprises raise or earn more than $1 billion, create positive impact in more than 90 countries, and benefit millions of lives around the world.
The Mentor Capital Network exists to engages our world-wide network of entrepreneurs, mentors, investors, incubators, and accelerators to identify and support the most promising and diverse early-stage social entrepreneurs who are solving the world’s toughest problems.
We believe that the most efficient and effective way to support these entrepreneurs centers around the three pillars of our program:
- Peer to Peer Relationships — connecting entrepreneurs with individuals who are addressing the same challenges, but not competing for the same customers.
- Mentoring Relationships where both sides choose each other — creating mentoring relationships that work for both parties over the long term.
- Not making the entrepreneur do work they wouldn’t otherwise be doing for their companies.
We identify entrepreneurs who are building companies that will accomplish critical social and environmental goals, and support them to get to the point where they can be self-funding.
To know if our program is working, we track three primary outcomes:
- Have our entrepreneurs developed the skills and knowledge they need to succeed?
- Have their companies achieved, or refined, the goals they set out for themselves?
- For the customers, employees, stakeholders, and other beneficiaries of those companies. Are the primary benefits significant? Are the secondary, and perhaps unintended benefits, still positive?
To achieve these outcomes, our program focuses on three particular outputs:
- Providing useful and constructive feedback on their business plan.
- Engaging the entrepreneurs with quality mentors
- Engaging the entrepreneurs with peers who are addressing similar challenges
To create those outputs, we engage our greatest asset — the network we have built over the past 15 years of social entrepreneurs around the world, and the staff and team that coordinate that network.